By night a mild mannered pizza boy and college student...but in the morning I AM JOHNNY CAFFIENE.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ever Distant Lives


Something occured to my as I was sitting up having my morn'in cuppa. My family has changed ALOT. I think back to my younger days as the oldest boy in a family of 6 as my father made his livelyhood as a Methodist preacher. We moved around together, much like a traveling band of gypsies, without people offering to sell us their children. My dad is no longer a preacher, and has not been for 10 years. All of my siblings, save myself, are done with undergraduate college, and I will soon be joining their ranks. All of us, but my little brother, are now married and moved out of the house. Finally, my sister and her husband are embarking to the furthest location away they have lived from either one of their parents. So, what does this all mean? Well, since Kristi and I are still "just around the corner" from our parents, literally, it doesn't mean as much for us yet. For Mary and Lane it means that they will be picked up at airports for holidays and the dropped back off reluctantly. It means that my mom won't be washing or ironing my clothes anymore, which I should have been doing more of when I lived at home. It means I need to be more responsible about emailing not only both my sisters and their husbands, but cousins who live in Tennessee, Florida, Nebraska, and Alabama. I need to call my grandparents more often and tell them how much I love and miss them. These are sins I am guilty of. Thank goodness I have a very loving and forgiving family. As I write this blog, I am reminded of a song by Derek Webb called "Faith My Eyes". In the song, he writes "And how I'm all wrapped up in my mother's face ,with a touch of my father just up around the eyes. And the sound of my brother's laugh, But more wrapped up in what binds our ever distant lives.".....This is so true of my life. This is just change, not bad nor good, just change. You learn to adjust. Btw, thank God for email.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. D. C. said...

Unless you're memorializing the days before I was, we're a family of 6. Two parents and four kids... unless I'm miscounting.

9:34 PM

 
Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

typo fixed

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home