By night a mild mannered pizza boy and college student...but in the morning I AM JOHNNY CAFFIENE.

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Blue Boy and Pinky Experience....Are You Experienced??





Meet Blueboy and Pinky. For those who might come visit this blog besides my LOVING brother and sister who I APPRECIATE AND ADORE FOR THEIR LOVING COMMENTS, these are paintings that I have grown up with all my life. The story behind these paintings, as it relates to my family goes like thus:
.......Along time ago in a land far away called "Oklahoma" there lived a husband and wife named Jim and Sharon Claunch (aka mom and dad, and that's Jim not James...if you call him James you are a telemarketer). Anyways, Jim was a budding seminarian and Sharon was a good mother and housewife to Jim. They were dirt poor and lived in a small apartment in Tulsa. Times were hard on Jim and Sharon and there came a need for $500 dollars to pay certain expenses that they didn't have the money for. A woman whom they knew came by one day totally out of the blue, who I believe was part of their church, and said She was "lead by the Lord" to give them a check for.....guess what.....$500. She did not know their need for this money, nor know what the money was for....only that she was suppose to give them this money and 2 other items. The other items were these paintings of Blue Boy and Pinky....If you are like me when I first heard this story, I would have simply been amazed by the money part. However, there is an even more interesting twist regarding the paintings. Sharon said to Jim," this is amazing, she did not even know we needed this money, but as far as these paintings, I have never seen them before, nor do I know who they are." Jim said to Sharon " I know who they are, they are Blueboy and Pinky." Sharon said "how do you know that?" Jim said "because, these paintings are at my mother's house in Alabama, my uncle Jimmy has a copy of them AND my brother Tommy has a copy of them as well. ".....this story is something I will be telling my grandchildren when I get old. I may also have my own story to tell them because I had a "BB and P" Experience last night. Unlike the Jimi Hendrix Experience which involved heavy doses of Acid, the BB & P Experience involves God and is drug free. I was delivering pizza's last night, which is my call of duty most Tuesday nights. I was having a HORRIBLE night in tips and was on track to have the 2nd worst night in my delivery history. I was on my way to the infamous "MLK" district, which is notorious for bad tips. And, just to clarify, this is an economic phenomeon not a racial one. I get bad tips in poor white neigborhoods as well. Anyways, I pull up and this guy comes and meets me at the edge of the road. He proceeds to say "How would you like a really good tip". I said "sure". He said "Ok, here's the deal...I have no cash, but for the cash you have, I will double your tip on the credit card. " He had already paid for his meal on a credit card, which was approved. I checked his I.D. already and it wasn't a stolen card, which this situation would have first prompted me to do. I said "are you sure about that". He said "I will DOUBLE what you have. " I said "I have $65 on me." He said "Ok, I will just make the tip out for $170, which gave me a $105 tip." His bill was $25 plus the $170 tip which totaled $195. I ask him why he would do this. He said "I just hit the Fantasy 5 lottery tonight and my winnings are $92,000. Me and my buddy are here celebrating and are driving to Tallahassee tommorrow to pick up the winnings." Now remind you this man was NOT drunk from what I could tell. He seemed to be an educated older black man. I told him I needed to ok this with my boss. We called him and my boss Richard said it was fine. When I returned to the store, I had forgot to make an imprint of the card. Richard said if this guy recanted his card, I would owe for the whole amount. The next day, the same guy called back again, ordered pizza and gave the day driver an $80 tip. Now the amazing this to me was I made $140 in tips, which means I would have only walked with $35 in tips had I not recieved this huge tip. Which, I usually walk with $60+ on a closing shift. Another amazing thing happened on my next delivery. I forgot to get a change bank, which was 10 one dollar bills and 2 five dollar bills to make change for my customers. I got to my next delivery and had no change. The bill was $16 and they gave me a $20. The guys were really young as well as African-American (sorry, but when you get Operantly Conditioned to get bad tips from black people you are GONNA have predispostions to think you are not getting a tip, so I was expecting them to ask for the change back. Before I could even say I didn't have change, they told me to keep the change. Now, either this was God teaching me a lesson about not being prejudice (which maybe part of it), or it was about reminding me he is still my father in Heaven. I got back to my car after the 2nd delivery and began to cry and thank God for his "totally undeserving" grace and blessing he had bestowed. It really had nothing to do with the money at all, but more to do with the fact I was having a HORRIBLE night. I have a horrible cold and really didn't want to close that night. I tried to give up my closing shift, but noone would take it. Not to mention, I just dropped $350 fixing my car. I make good money and have a $400 tax return coming back, so I didn't really need the money desparately. This was just about reminding me there is a God and he loves me.





3 Comments:

Blogger J. D. C. said...

I always wondered about the prejudice thing when serving tables... it is a difficult question. I became more prejudice of highschool students than anyone else though... hahaha.

11:55 AM

 
Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

Thanks Allison. I will definately go surf over there soon. Is this Allison of team Redd or the other one? We've got to get you girls to tag which you are : D Later

2:46 PM

 
Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

Mary-
Yes, I created PsychadelaBlueboy and Pinky. I just went crazy in photoshop this afternoon. I can send you a copy of the original photoshop PSD's if want.

8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home