By night a mild mannered pizza boy and college student...but in the morning I AM JOHNNY CAFFIENE.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The mayhem that is Intercultural/Interracial Communications

I am in the last full semester of my undergraduate education and am really getting burnt out on college. Since I am a psychology major with a communications minor, I am really worried my edcuation will be lacking in depth until I reach the graduate level. Afterall, there is not much you can do with a Psych Undergrad except teach or manage cubical warriors on their way up the corporate ladder. But this post is more about the ensuing mayhem that happens in one of my minor classes in communications called Intercultural/Interracial Communications. The class is suppose to be a study of how different cultures and races act and interact and how a technologically advanced world is now forced to deal with smaller cultural gaps. Basically, how exactly should Americans behave on a business trips to Pakistan. Anyways, the professor of the class acts like she got her degree at the Wanda Finkleman Communications Doctorate/Cosemetology School. Today in class she proceeds to start talking about the class material on the psychology of language and somehow randoms off into talking about the Catholic stations of the Cross and the criteria for sainthood, the next thing ya know 3 protestant christians begin to argue with a catholic girl about Catholic ritual and another group of people are complaining about ebonics, specfically the term "axe" as in "can I axe you a question." Anyways this class ends up in total dissarray every week and I feel like I am either watching 4 empisodes of CNN's Crossfire simultaneously or spending the afternoon at a Korean Parliment meeting. Anyways, I was pretty worried about the test in the next class so I engulfed myself in the facinating world of Business Psychology. Nothing like dry lecture about the 20 ways to run the scientific method. WOOHOO.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. D. C. said...

I am so glad I don't go to FSU P.C. Stay strong Jon, a graduate program should give you everything you want in an education.

10:59 AM

 
Blogger J. D. C. said...

I suppose that's true... I lucked out with the Harrells and the Sciences... We have a couple of great Chem profs and Bio profs... But most of HC would probably feel the same way... I wouldn't be a communications major here now... which, btw mary, is becoming a concentration of business... because they don't want to pay someone with a Ph.D.... H.C. is going down the crapper now... I guess Mary and I just lucked out...

1:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home