By night a mild mannered pizza boy and college student...but in the morning I AM JOHNNY CAFFIENE.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

CHRISTIAN


The reason for this post was this radio broadcast I heard this afternoon on a Christian radio station called "Identity: Who Are You?: Do You Know Who You Really Are?". In this broadcast Author of Hope for the Heart June Hunt shares her thoughts about how people have lost their identity. (go check out her website at www.hopefortheheart.org ) and try and spot her "core values" on the "Core Values Presentation" She had a phone caller who she asked the question "How do you think God views you?". The reply was "I think he sees me as a worthless sinner save for the blood of Christ", which in my opinion is a pretty accurate biblical understanding of humanity in the eyes of God. This woman therapist/author/nutquack proceeds to tell him that that is his "problem" and that he needs to find self-worth and see God made him with personal worth. Now, I believe "God don't make no junk" as I've heard youth pastors say, but I do believe that humanity has made junk out of what God created. With the sin in our lives, he cannot see self-worth in us. It is the purpose of Christ on earth and it is, in my opinion the core of the gospel. It says in Isaiah that " But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isa 64:6 In the Psalms it says"Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; [there is] none that doeth good, no, not one."Psa 53:3 I could go on with Paul's views but this is his references so I will stick with them. To get back on track, this is what Christian Ideology in the South is build upon. "Self-Help" "Personal" relationship with Jesus that is all about fire insurance and has nothing to do with the gospel. I am reading a great book right now called "A Generous Othordoxy" by a guy named Brian McClaren that illustrates this point perfectly. He says "I fear that for too many Christians "personal salvation" has become another persoanl consumer product and Christianity it's marketing program" He goes on to say "Can't seeking a personal salvation as the ultimate end become the ultimate consumerism or narcissism?" In a self-centered and hell-centered salvation, doesn't Jesus-like every company and political party-appeal to me on the basis of self-interest so that I can have it all so cheaply, conveniently, easily, and quickly?" Well, you get the picture. From my own personal experience I got saved 5 years ago from a life of sex, drugs, and self-abasement. But I have been asking my self after the novelty has worn off, "what did I get saved into?" I KNOW that there is a God because of the order, balance, and beauty in a complex world. This CANNOT be happenstance. I KNOW he loves me because I realize my self worth"less" ness in the light of Jesus's Love. But, I must not take that gift and trade that for a cheaper, storebought Christ"less" reality That does nothing for me but make me a Pharisee. If I have offended any of you I am sorry. But God's truth is not only beautiful, it's also offensive and the truth hurts........Wow, if I wasn't sick, I would say it was time for a beer. Anyways leave 'em if you got em. P.S. for more fun go to this link http://www.av1611.org/jmelton/scross.html to learn the "Christian" roots of the Rebel Flag. All I can say is WOW.

3 Comments:

Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

Did you go read the "christian" roots of the rebel flag? That was astounding! http://www.av1611.org/jmelton/scross.html

10:30 AM

 
Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

Howdy Allison. Thanks for "saving" the day. Can I come to accept you as my "personal" saviour? j/k how about "personal" friend and new blog-o-sphere confidante! Thank you for check'in out my thoughts-via-type.

11:26 AM

 
Blogger JohnnyCaffeine said...

Well, actually I found that "tract" on the confederate flag on the internet looking for pictures of rebel flags for my blog. I did find a rebel flag that said "Get Er Done"....shocking huh! Sorry to turn your lunch! yea it is pretty sad. Did I tell you that the write up in the "Info" for "Saved!" said "A girl who goes to a "baptist" highschool faces being ostrizied and demonized for becoming pregnant." The movie NEVER called American Eagle Highschool a "Baptist" highschool. lol

1:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home